The Goldwater Institute’s Communications Director will be responsible for creating specific media strategies that promote and advance our policy initiatives and legal casework and position our issues around the news of the day.
Essential Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Develop and implement media plans and strategies for the Institute’s policy initiatives, litigation activities, and research.
- Promote policy priorities and position the Institute as a key resource to journalists in all mediums. Ensure Goldwater Institute and its’ associates are regularly featured in local and national media platforms as experts in public policy. This will include booking radio and television shows, developing profile print stories, and placing op-eds.
- Build and maintain relationships with national and strategic media outlets including online news sites and continue to cultivate the Institute’s reputation as leader in our field for media.
- Identify and respond to the ever-changing news cycle and seek opportunities to market the Institute’s initiatives in a relevant manner.
- Effectively communicate the Institute’s messages in press releases, statements, op-eds, and critical communication materials announcing research, investigations, and lawsuits.
- Establish and execute effective social media campaigns based on targeted issues to create awareness and gain a wider following from the media, supporters, and the general public.
- Develop and manage Communications budget.
- Build and lead a team.
- Passion and commitment to the Goldwater Institute’ mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in communications or public relations.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated record of maintaining and fostering relationships with media outlets, reporters, editors, etc.
Goldwater pays a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits: employer-paid group health insurance, health savings accounts, 403(b) plan, long-term disability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, life insurance, accrued vacation and sick time, and a voluntary dental plan.
In addition to your resume, a personalized cover letter explaining your interest in the Goldwater Institute and this position is required. You must provide your minimum salary requirements in your cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The Goldwater Institute is an equal opportunity employer.